Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Your Words

Dear Abigail,

You don't know how your little voice carries, how easily I can hear you from virtually anywhere in our home while working in the kitchen.

On Saturday, you were playing with your friend, an eight-year old girl who lives a few doors away. The two of you were having popcorn on the porch. Swinging, talking, eating. Just what girlfriends do.

Then I hear it. God. . . I was making something for our night at the drive-in, but His name made me stop the preparations.

I hear some more, Do you love the Lord?

I rushed to wake your resting father. I wanted him to hear your evangelism, but the conversation ended with her response which I couldn't hear. You reported later that she said she didn't know if she believed in God or loved the Lord.

You are too young to notice that not many in our neighborhood spend their Sundays in church. You don't realize that while we are many times rushing on Sunday morning to go sing His praise those around us are sleeping in. You love Him and are comfortable speaking His name, talking of Him, but others, my dear girl, aren't.

I write this not to make you uncomfortable as I so often am, but to tell you that I am proud of you. I rejoice to see the love you have for Him and the way it is manifest in your love for others. And I want you to continue to tell of Him. Hearing you talk to your friend renewed my joy at seeing you grow and my excitement to see all that He has made you to be.

Now the word of the Lord came to me saying,
Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
And before you were born I consecrated you;
I have appointed you a prophet to the nations.

Then I said, Alas, Lord God!
Behold I do not know how to speak,
Because I am a youth.

But the Lord said to me,
Do not say, I am a youth,
Because everywhere I send you, you shall go,
And all that I command you, you shall speak.
Do not be afraid of them,
For I am with you to deliver you, declares the Lord.
Jeremiah 1:4-8

I don't know the plans He has for you, but I do know you were created for a purpose, His purpose. Follow Him, my girl, wherever He leads.

No comments:

Post a Comment