Monday, January 10, 2011

Celebrating Well

Yesterday while listening to the message I was struck by the thought that I might be missing some of the point of all this celebration work I am doing. You see, I keep a list of the things that God gives that make me happy--
:: the cardinal couple in our neighbors' tree ::
:: the big eyes the dog gives me ::
:: the birds huddled in our rose of Sharon ::
all while gritting my teeth at the interruption that one of the eternal gifts He has given me is causing in my grand plan for the day. I'm not sure it is possible to truly be thanking God for a temporal gift (oh, yes, given for my pleasure and I will enjoy) while becoming angry at the words of a child defined as an eternal, forever reward.

Well, let's just say I don't like conviction. Oh, I will respond, because I do like Him and them. But the deep down disappointed-with-myself feeling that comes with such heart-news I don't like. Nor do I like the work that such deep heart-news requires to change from rock to flesh. But I like Him and them and I deeply desire to be a woman pleasing to my Lord, and a wife who brings honor to her husband, and a mother whose children will speak well of her to their friends.

So today I embarked on the celebration of the eternal.
:: Abigail's incredible imagination ::
:: the way Simon wants to be a part of the family, to contribute ::
:: how she practices till she improves ::
:: the way she shares ::
:: his overriding joy at everything ::
:: cuddling for reading ::
:: the way he feeds the dog from the table ::
:: her deep heart ::
:: his consideration of and disregard for consequences when the potential fun is deemed greater ::
:: that my deep heart issues of pride and selfishness didn't make me unworthy for His gifts ::
But even if I am being poured out as a drink offering upon the sacrifice and service of your faith, 
I rejoice and share my joy with you all. 
Philippians 2: 17

No comments:

Post a Comment