Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Walking Wednesday--Faithfulness

Recently in my January, after holiday blues, I took a personality test. It was one of the Briggs Myers tests. My category changed a bit with this new testing method, and it fits a bit better. I found another site describing the personality categories using a comic book-superhero scheme. It was funny, because it was true. So funny and so true I had to interrupt my husband at work to read the description to him. The descriptions can be found here, but you'll have to find your own test. 

If I were a comic book character, I would be the crackpot:

ISFP: The Crackpot
ISFP personalities are characterized by their impulsiveness, their defiance of conformity and orthodoxy, and their competitive natures. Taken together, these traits make up the ideal crackpot. While an ISFP's personality might seem flighty and their attention span short to an outsider, ISFPs live by the motto "Life is best approach--oh, look, potato chips!"
ISFPs are always on the cutting edge of new trends. Whether it's podcasting, taking up guitar, or running away to a far-off east African compound and joining a doomsday apocalyptic cult, ISFPs are always following their hearts and quickly embracing new ideas. However, they tend to be fleeting in their passions, which means they often may lack the dedication that marks a true cultist. While ISFPs often lack the dedication most people give to careers and family, they can still support themselves in more unorthodox ways, like by selling blood plasma, turning tricks, and mooching off their family.
RECREATION: ISFPs enjoy activities that cater to their emotional passions, and often pursue many hobbies, such as music, painting, sculpting, and running off to Vegas to marry that cute waitress from Mack's Truck Stop over on Route 9. Whenever God speaks to someone, it's usually an ISFP.
COMPATIBILITY: ISFPs do well in relationships with ISFJs and with anyone they meet in Las Vegas.
 Famous ISFPs include Joan of Arc and--oh, look, potato chips!
So, it is a bit extreme. If you look at other places, this personality fits artists and teachers and counselors. 

A friend warned me that perhaps I shouldn't play this in my head too often, making it my identity. And she is right. 

But, here's the thing. I don't always see things really clearly. I can and have jumped on the bandwagon of things quickly. I don't follow-through. (Those of you who would like to disagree, I maintain that I am good at follow-through with others because I care about what you think, not because I maintain a good deal of focus or faithfulness.) And I'm really good with admitting my weaknesses. Because where I can see I am weak is the very same place that I can see God. 

All that being said, the walking part of my life hasn't been as consistent as I would like. Some because of holidays and illness, but much of the inconsistency is because I am a bit flighty. I am so thankful that God is a God of grace and gifts. I will bring my inconsistency to Him and I will ask Him to give me the faithfulness to keep my word to myself and to my family.

This post is becoming long, so I will just say that the little fitness journal I bought isn't so much about losing those fifteen pounds anymore, but about knowing what it feels like to be faithful to my word to myself, to have victory over the hidden places in my life. If the fifteen pounds come off, I will rejoice even more so.

No comments:

Post a Comment